Thursday 19 August 2010


Kew Gardens

A couple of days ago I woke up to what you would describe as a gray miserable looking day, I was disappointed I had planned to take my youngest child to Kew Gardens but then I thought about it for a little while and announced to my son "well its still warmer then winter" he agreed. So off we went to Kew Gardens it took us exactly thirty minutes to get there by train, which was great as I had expected it to take longer then that, much longer in fact.
Well as soon as we arrived to our destination the sun was shining brightly! it stayed like that for the rest of the day! It made me wonder how many people cancel arrangements because of a gray sky! Well I have decided as long as its warmer then winter in the summer holidays I will go to these wonderful places as its no problem slipping into a light jacket. As for Kew Garden the last time I was there it was about fifteen years ago and it certainly hasn't lost its beauty, I love the trees with so many to see well I was at my element, Heritage Trees the Arboretum at Kew is home to some of the finest specimens of trees from all over the world. It contains examples from as far back as the early 18th century to newly planted rarities from recent Kew plant collecting expeditions. Every specimen is a piece of history in the development of an ever-changing landscape, representing the generations of a great historic tree collection.
The flowers were beautiful and with peacocks strolling by that was a sight to see, I could go on for ever but I rather recommend you see it for yourself,But make sure you don't miss Kew's Rhizotron and Xstrata Treetop Walkway takes you under the ground and then 18 metres (59ft) up in the air, bringing you close to trees in a way that will take your breath away. For those of you with small children they do have an indoor and outdoor play areas. At least three cafes with a whole range of goodies. Yes I will indeed return but this time a lot sooner then fifteen years.

By Vivian

2 comments:

  1. I'm lucky enough to live near to Kew Gardens and year passes are fairly cheap (around £35) so we go there all the time. Agree that it is fabulous and it doesn't need to be a hot day to go there as there are enough indoor things to protect you. The great thing is if you go there regularly, like we do, it changes all the time and there are so many bits to it, it never feels like you are going back to the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how lovely to live close to Kew Gardens! I think £35 a year is not bad at all. If you remember do let me know if something special comes up!

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete